Industrial Built-Up Roofing or BUR is one of the oldest and most trusted commercial roofing systems for buildings that have low-slope or flat roofs. An Industrial Built-up roofing system (BUR system) consists of bitumen-saturated organic-fiber, fiberglass, or polyester felt. A top-surfacing or a glaze coat of asphalt, aggregate (gravel or slag), fibered, or non-fibered coatings engineered for roof coating, or a granule-surfaced cap sheet. We have over 30 years of experience in built up roofing repairs and can offer you an expertly crafted Industrial built up roofing system.
Industrial Built-Up Roofs have a long history and impeccable reputation in the industrial and commercial roofing industries. The long term value is outstanding for Industrial Built-Up Roof Systems. Industrial Built-Up Roof Systems provides a thick, durable roof covering, that lends itself to a broad range of waterproofing applications. The life of built-up roof systems can be extended with proper care and maintenance.
Are Built Up Multi-ply Roofs energy-efficient?
Built-up roofing systems exhibit exceptional resistance to the conduction of heat between the exterior and interior of a building, resulting in noticeable reductions in heating and cooling costs.
- Built up roof systems incorporates the roofing insulation into the monolithic roofing membrane and results in better insulation or a higher R value for better thermal performance your roofing system can achieve.
- built up roof systems may have a ballast layer added to them (local building code permitting) which can increase the thermal performance. (Need Better Language from the SPRI report Andre Wrote on ballasted systems)
- A built up roof system generally incorporates insulation in the design of the roofing system because of the multiple layers increasing the insulation properties that can boost the energy efficiency of the system.
How do Built Up Multi-ply roofs provide added protection?
Fire and Uplift Resistance
Built-up roofing systems are tested through Underwriters Laboratories and Factory Mutual Research Corporation to meet very strict fire resistance requirements and ensure adequate uplift resistance under extreme wind conditions.
- Uplift: The built up roof systems continuously adheres each layer to one another forming a monolithic structure with out the need for fasteners. This monolithic layering reduces the number of penetrations and stress points caused by fasteners and increases wind resistance.
- Fire Resistance: FM1 include the highest fire rating available. UL Class A is the best in the industry.
Can an Commercial Built Up Roof be used to meet cool roofing standards and meet Energy Star program requirements?
Yes, multiple options exist to make a black Built Up Roof into a highly reflective or “cool” Built Up Roof:
- A commercial built up roof can be coated with UV reflective material to become a more highly reflective “cool” roof. This is typically done with an aluminum coating to increase the surface reflectivity. A highly reflective white coating can be used but special precautions must be taken to ensure the white coating does not yellow over time due to a phenomenon called bleed-through.
- Commercial built up roof systems can be covered with a white granulated cap sheet to meet cool roofing requirements.
- Ballast may be added—-DETAILS WHY considered cool.
Is a multi-ply Commercial Built Up Roof System economical?
Compared to other high performance commercial roofing systems, built-up roofing is one of the best investments on the market today due to its competitive cost per year of expected service life.
- Low maintenance: Recommended annual inspection to check for clogged drains, gutters, pitch pockets needing to be tipped off, damage caused by a service repairman, etc.
- A multi-ply smooth surface built up roof system can be restored by resurfacing a flood coat of asphalt, a fibered aluminum roof coating, a white or pigmented elastomeric roof coating, and/or asphalt coating and gravel.
- Multiple-ply means fewer headaches, when using the roof as a platform for your vegetative roof, solar array or outdoor living space. The multiple ply provide added protection so there’s no need for expensive deconstruction of items inhabitation the roof to affect repairs like single-plys.
How Can We Help You?
As an industry leader, Culver Roofing Company offers quality built-up roofing systems in Houston. We install them with care and expertise. Your roof is such a valuable asset, so choosing a local commercial roofing expert who you trust to partner with, will protect your investment.
When you are looking for the best in built-up roofing systems in Houston, call us at 832-671-1357 or fill out the form below.
How Can We Help You?
As an industry leader, Culver Roofing Company offers quality built-up roofing systems in Houston. We install them with care and expertise. Your roof is such a valuable asset, so choosing a local commercial roofing expert who you trust to partner with, will protect your investment. When you are looking for the best in built-up roofing systems in Houston, call us at 832-671-1357 or fill out the form below.